The prominence of the CIO position has risen greatly since information technology has become an increasingly important part of the modern organization. Great CIOs are technologists who have mastered the art of leadership. They are leaders who possess technical acumen, but also understand how to improve and grow the business, influence others, deliver results and drive strategic change.
The CIO position is as much about anticipating trends in the marketplace with regards to technology as it is about ensuring that the business navigates these trends. The CIO must do so through expert guidance and proper, strategic IT planning aligned to the organization’s corporate strategy.
Great CIOs are business leaders who see the world in terms of business results. Increasingly, more than a quarter of these CIOs are coming directly from the business world —and outside of IT. As technology continues to become more global, managing the risk and governance will become a key competency for any CIO.
Through our search activities, we have discovered that the best performing CIOs today have a shared vision of their role. It encompasses:
- Managing technology as a portfolio
- Getting committed and aligned to business model
- Creating value through business differentiators
- Leveraging technology for brand experience to ensure consistency with Multi-channel customer experience
- Optimizing enterprise leverage
- Relentlessly focusing on people
- Building strong risk management and governance capabilities
- Leveraging information and effective use of technology to drive business innovation and competitive advantage.
While we typically work on assignments for CIOs and CTOs, our consultants have handled projects in infrastructure, architecture, application development and e-commerce.